Wisdom teeth removal is one of the most common dental surgical procedures performed at dental offices all across the country. People often hesitate to go for this treatment as there is a prevalent misconception about the procedure being too painful. This is not true at all. Moreover, adopting a few measures can speed up the healing process after getting the wisdom teeth extracted. In this blog, we are going to provide you with effective tips to follow after the extraction. Go through the sections below if you have any queries related to this topic.
But, before delving into the topic, you should gather detailed information regarding wisdom teeth. Wisdom teeth are also known as third molars that grow at the back of your gums. They are the last teeth to come and appear around the early twenties. But, wisdom teeth can also grow pretty late at times. Due to the lack of space, these teeth can emerge partially and cause severe pain or discomfort.
Having an impacted or partially emerged wisdom tooth is capable of making you go through a nightmare. In that case, you should not hesitate to get in touch with a dentist. He/she will at first examine the situation and let you know if it is necessary to go for the extraction.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Tips For Fast Recovery
The best Airdrie dentists have come up with effective tips that can help to recover fast after undergoing wisdom teeth extraction.
- Gently bite down on a gauze pad – Gently biting down on a gauze pad can be really helpful to stop the bleeding at the site of extraction. This in turn also initiates the process of blood clotting which is really good for your oral health. Are you wondering why? Well, clotting protects the exposed bone or tissues to get infected and also prevents extreme blood loss. But, be very careful to bite very gently as harsh biting can reopen the wound and increase your problems.
- Apply ice to your jaw and cheek – Applying an ice pack on your cheek and jaw can reduce the swelling that is pretty common after wisdom teeth extraction. You should do it for a span of 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the ice pack for some time and then repeat the process for at least 36-48 hours after the surgery.
- Take the prescribed medications – You can take the medication prescribed by your dentist to alleviate pain (if you feel any). Intake of antibiotics is also an effective way to avoid serious infections. If the prescribed medicines are not solving your problem, do consult your dentist without any delay.
- Keep your mouth clean – Your dentist might advise you to start brushing the same night of tooth extraction. Make sure to move the toothbrush in a gentle manner near the site of extraction. You should not dislodge the blood clot at any cost.
- Avoid consumption of hard food items – It is necessary to not eat hard food items for a few days. Nutritious food items can really reduce complications and also speed up the process of recovery. Stick to soft food items such as avocados, broths, mashed vegetables, etc.
- Take an adequate amount of rest – You need to realize that resting is equally important if you want to recover soon. So, take some time out of your busy days or take a few days of leave after the extraction process.
We hope that you now have a clear understanding of the tips to recover faster after wisdom teeth extraction. Contact Airdrie Springs Dental if you are looking for the best wisdom teeth removal service in Airdrie. All you got to do is give us a call to schedule an appointment.