Do your jaws hurt, whenever you bite, chew, talk, or move your jaw, or even yawn? Are you suffering from sore jaw muscles and having ear aches too? Do you find a kind of popping sound in your ears over and over again? Then, you may be suffering from a state called Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) dysfunction or disorder. This type of issue can give you triggered headaches and even neck pain.
What is TMJ?
TMJ is placed just in front of your ears on both sides of the face, where your jaw connects with the skull. The joint is supported by numerous muscles, ligaments, cartilage, and even an intra-joint disk. The intra-joint disk allows the joint to move and adapt to several forms of motion. We naturally use the Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) for the whole day for any kind of oral activity.
Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD/TMJ Syndrome) refers to acute or long-term swelling of the TMJ. The dysfunction can result in intense pain and also damage. The procedure used to treat this type of case is termed TMJ Therapy.
What are the causes of TMJ?
- Overcrowded teeth
- Uneven teeth and jaw
- Missing teeth or gaps between teeth
- Inappropriate biting pattern
- Teeth grinding and clenching
- Tooth decay
How will your Dentist treat you?
- Firstly, the dentist will check the symptoms if any, and also examine your jaw.
- Then he/she will also listen to your jaw motions while you open or close your mouth.
- The frequency of your jaw motion will be monitored.
- In the meantime, your dentist will detect your pain spots.
- You may be informed about undergoing dental X-rays, CT-Scan, or maybe an MRI for a detailed analysis.
- Certain times, TMJ arthroscopy is also used for TMJ disorder diagnosis. While undergoing TMJ arthroscopy, your dental expert will enter a tiny thin tube (cannula) into the joint gap. Then they will position a tiny camera (arthroscope) to check the spot.
- After understanding your present situation, your dentist will draft a suitable treatment plan for you.
Get the help you need!
You can get in touch with Airdrie Springs Dental if you want to receive the best TMJ-TMD therapy in Airdrie, AB, and get rid of TMJ (TMD) troubles. Nowadays, with the high rise of modern and latest technology, our trusted dentist is very much proficient in diagnosing your problem. And he will definitely offer you the best treatment along with optimal comfort. Our team will always be there to fulfill all your needs with utmost care and diligence. Our dentist in Airdrie is just a call away.